Friday, September 15, 2017

Book Blogger Hop No. 6: Book Beauty Wins Over Budgeting



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

Have you ever bought a more 
expensive edition of a book, when
a cheaper edition was
available, just because you 
preferred the cover of the
more expensive one?

(Submitted  by Maria  @ 



My Answer

Since I consider myself a bibliophile just as much as a bookworm, the answer is definitely "YES!!" After all, a book's cover is nearly as important as the content within the book. The cover is a portal into the wonders of the book itself, whether fiction or nonfiction. It's also what entices a potential reader to open an unfamiliar book in the first place. 

Whenever I've gone to "Paradise", which is what I love to call my local Barnes & Noble bookstore, I have seen books with beautiful and ugly covers. I will only glance at those ugly covers once, and then quickly move on. A beautiful cover, on the other hand, will pull me toward the book, just as surely as a magnet is pulled to metal. Such a cover will make me want to take a closer look, to investigate the book's content. Sometimes, I'm disappointed by the fact that a beautiful cover will belong to a book whose content, on closer inspection, I am not at all interested in. Usually, however, the content will be well matched by the gorgeous cover.

When a book has been a bestseller for several years, it will have been published in several editions. This happens frequently with classics. Although of course the content is usually the same in each edition (unless the book has been abridged, and or a foreword or introduction has been added), I will be more willing to buy an edition with a beautiful cover, even if I have to pay more for it. Absolutely! I just don't want to own a book with an ugly cover, if I can help it. Lol.

The fact that I prefer books with beautiful covers does not mean that I will splurge on a VERY expensive edition. I certainly cannot afford to buy books from The Folio Society on a regular basis, or even AT ALL. Nor can I afford books that cost more than $25.00, for example. However, books with beautiful covers need not be THAT expensive. I have found gorgeous ones for less than $20.00. The new B&N hardcover collector's editions are very reasonably priced, and believe me, they are GORGEOUS!

Here's a very obvious example of two different editions of a classic -- one with a gorgeous cover, and the other with an ugly one.


 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/168016.Jane_Eyre

Since I totally ADORE this novel, I actually own several editions of it, each with a beautiful cover. The one above is probably my favorite. I think this cover is just EXQUISITE, and it captures Jane's personality so very well, too. The composition, the colors, the model's pose -- everything about this cover is beautiful and harmonious. This edition is currently available new directly from Amazon for $14.32, although third-party sellers have it for less. You can check it out HERE.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11020.Jane_Eyre

I consider this cover to be a MONSTROSITY. I can't believe that B&N actually was responsible for this edition! There are just SO MANY things wrong with this cover! For instance, the hand is much smaller than the face, and is very awkwardly placed. Even non-artists are aware that either of one's hands is almost as long as one's face! It even looks as if a child's hand is grabbing Jane's chin. This hand certainly does NOT look like it belongs to the person pictured here. Another very wrong thing about this cover is that it looks like she has a black eye! What's up with that? And there are more things.... In the novel, Jane is 18 years old when the events between her and Rochester take place. The woman pictured here seems to be in her fifties! Furthermore, she has such a dejected, defeated, depressed expression on her face! Jane, in contrast, is a fiery, passionate woman, although she does present a quiet exterior.

In short, I would NEVER want this edition of this wonderful novel, not even if someone GAVE it to me! It's currently available directly from Amazon for..... only $.99! Hahahaha!! And it's a hardcover, too. Third-party sellers have it for higher prices. But the fact that Amazon itself has it for such a low price indicates that I'm not alone in considering this cover to be HIDEOUS. You can check out this edition HERE.

I wouldn't think twice if a bookstore had both of these editions in stock. Without hesitation, I would reach for the first edition pictured above, and totally ignore the second. In fact, I have done so, because I never bought the second edition when it was for sale at B&N, nor have I taken advantage of the VERY low price on Amazon! Lol. Instead, I bought the Everyman Library edition (the first one pictured above).

I could give many more examples of gorgeous and ugly covers for the same book, but then this post would be much too long. The examples above will, I'm sure, get my point across. 

In my honest opinion, owning a copy of a book that has a beautiful cover gives me such aesthetic pleasure, that I consider it well worth the money spent. What good is it to save some money, and have to stare at an ugly cover every time one picks up a certain book? 


What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 






12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Another MARVELOUS post and answer.

I like how you call Barnes and Noble Paradise. :)

I agree about covers....they pull me in first.

I am laughing about your comment about the book's cover being a monstrosity.

Another great question with good comments and answers coming up on blog I have visited.

ENJOY your day, and I am glad you are safe.

Elizabeth

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Elizabeth!

You know, a couple of people who have answered this question obviously thought that it referred to expensive collector's editions. It doesn't! The beautiful cover sample I included in my post costs no more than $14.32, if you buy it new, directly from Amazon. However, as I mentioned in the post, several third-party sellers have it for much less. A "more expensive" edition is not necessarily one that costs $50.00 to $100.00 or more. It can be one that costs $5.00 more than an edition of the same book with an ugly cover.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed my post! <3 <3 Yeah, I LOVE to call B&N "Paradise", because I can't think of a more perfect place than a bookstore! It's where I feel THE HAPPIEST, no exceptions! (Except maybe my own home library, lol.)

Lol on your comment about my use of the word "monstrosity"! That was the word that came to mind IMMEDIATELY when I first saw the second cover! :) :)

Thanks for the WONDERFUL comment, and for being concerned about me and my family as Hurricane Irma approached. You're one of the SWEETEST bloggers I know!!

ENJOY your weekend up there in Pittsburgh, you LUCKY thing, you!! HUGS!!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

Great answer!! I personally like to get cheaper editions of books since I would be saving money on the books.

Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Nicki J. Markus / Asta Idonea said...

Covers pull me in when in a store, but I wouldn't spend more for one cover than another unless the difference was really small.

Erica Robyn said...

There is nothing worse than a horrible book cover!! I have read so many books that someone really urged me to after personally being hesitant about the book because of how awful the cover was. It always makes me wish I could redesign the cover! lol!

Erica | Erica Robyn Reads

Brian Joseph said...

Great post Maria.

It makes me want to go out and start acquiring some high quality pleasing books. I totally agree that there is something special about these beautiful books. Sadly I have not acquired many. As you have pointed out here and in other posts, one can find some great books at very reasonable prices. I really should begin collecting some. If my money were unlimited I would start collecting from the Folio Society.


I love your description of how a beautiful cover draws you to it.


Have a great weekend!

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Ronyell!

Thanks for the compliment! <3

I usually prefer to buy cheaper books, too. However, when I come across an edition with a cover as HIDEOUS as the one I discussed in my post, I will pass it up in favor of a more beautiful one, even if it's more expensive.

Of course, I will not spend too much money on a more beautiful cover. But many times, that's not necessary. There are beautiful editions of books that are not that expensive.

Thanks for the comment!! <3 :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Nicki!

That's the same thing I do. As I mentioned in my post, I simply CANNOT afford to buy books from The Folio Society, for example. However, there are editions with beautiful covers that are not as expensive as the FS books.

In the case of "Jane Eyre", the Everyman Library edition (the first cover pictured in my post) costs $14.32 + S/H, brand new, if purchased directly from Amazon. However, it's also available for much less from the third-party sellers on Amazon. One of them, for instance, sells it in "Very Good" condition for $10.77, plus S/H.

Many times, I prefer to buy from a third-party seller on Amazon, because most of them charge $3.99 for S/H, whereas Amazon charges $4.98.

Ebay also has GREAT prices for books, and sometimes it even surpasses Amazon in offering very reasonable prices. And they frequently have FREE shipping! Now third-party sellers on Amazon are offering free shipping, too.

There are two other websites that are AWESOME for buying books, especially used ones: Alibris and Abebooks. Again, doing some comparison shopping will bring up some GREAT results!

Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Erica!

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you!! Sometimes I wish I could redesign a cover, too!! Lol.

As you saw from my comparison of the two editions of "Jane Eyre", sometimes a cover is just completely HORRIBLE. If I can get an edition with a more beautiful cover, I will DEFINITELY do so! This is more of an option with books that have been around for several years, obviously. In the case of newly-published books, one has to wait until that happens. Then one is stuck with whatever covers these new books are published in, lol.

As I mentioned in my post, and in my reply to Nicki, it's NOT necessary to spend LOTS of money to get a beautiful cover. And you can get some GREAT bargains at the sites I mentioned to her -- Amazon, Ebay, Alibris, and Abebooks.

Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Brian!

Oh, I would LOVE to be able to own books from The Folio Society!! But I just can't. They are MUCH too expensive for me! One interesting thing I've noticed, though, is that these books are often available on Ebay, as well as on Alibris and Abebooks, sites that also sell used books.

Here's the link to an FS copy of "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", by Maya Angelou. It costs $19.95 + $4.95 S/H. If purchased directly from The Folio Society, it would cost a LOT more. It's no longer available there, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folio-Society-I-Know-Why-the-Caged-Bird-Sings-by-Maya-Angelou-/122705611136?hash=item1c91d30980:g:eGIAAOSwDQJZurTw

Here's a link to another copy available on Abebooks, which is roughly the same price.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22478780196&searchurl=tn%3Di%2Bknow%2Bwhy%2Bthe%2Bcaged%2Bbird%2Bsings%26sortby%3D17%26an%3Dmaya%2Bangelou%26pics%3Don

I will admit that FS books available on Ebay and the other sites I mentioned might still be a bit pricey for many bookworms. However, this is only an option for those who can afford it.

There are many cases of books that have beautiful covers, and yet, are available at reasonable prices. The sites I've already mentioned are GREAT for finding such books, as I'm sure you and other bookworms are aware.

The bottom line is that one must be willing to do some comparison shopping. One can not only do this online, but also by visiting used bookstores.

Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

Literary Feline said...

Good evening, Maria! I didn't participate in this week's hop, I'm afraid, but I did enjoy reading your response. I agree with you about the two Jane Eyre covers. The small hand definitely doesn't look like it belongs to the woman in the picture. I can see why you like the first one though. It is pretty.

There are a few reasons I might choose a more expensive copy of a book over the cheaper one. As someone who is not a fan of movie tie-in covers, if given a choice, I will always go for the one that doesn't have an image on the cover from the movie--I don't care if the movie cover actually is more attractive or not. It's just one of my quirks, you could say. Another, if given the choice between a hardcover, trade paperback or a mass market paperback, I will always choose the trade paperback. Even if the hardback is on sale and the mass market is even cheaper. A third reason for my maybe buying a more expensive copy is if it's a series and I have copies already in a particular format. For consistency's sake. So, I guess my short answer would be that it depends. I don't know that cover art alone would be enough to make me want to buy a more expensive copy of a book I can get cheaper except for the reasons I've listed above.

I hope you are well. I am so glad you are safe! Have a great week, Maria. It's good to see you back online again.

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Wendy!

So glad you agree about these two book covers! That second one is just HIDEOUS, I think! Lol. The worst thing about it is that hand. But the other things I mentioned also make me dislike it. And that black eye! Hey, Rochester may have been overbearing, but he NEVER took a swing at Jane! Lol.

Yes, the first cover is very beautiful! It's actually part of a painting by a 19th-century artist named, comically enough, Augustus Egg. The title of the painting is "The Traveling Companions". I actually featured this cover on one of my very first "Shelf Candy Saturday" posts, back when Steph @ Five Alarm Book Reviews was hosting this meme/blog hop.

Part of this painting was used for this edition of "Jane Eyre". This line of classics, titled "Everyman Library", has very beautiful, eye-catching covers. And these books are not that expensive, either.

Here's the link to my first post about this cover. I've featured it several times on SCS, because I love it so much!

http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/shelf-candy-saturday-3-jane-eyre-by.html


I definitely prefer trade paperbacks to mass-market paperbacks! (I do buy Star Trek novels in mass-market PBs, as they are not published in trade paperback editions.) And I will sometimes buy them instead of the hardbacks, in order to save money.

There's one case in which I did buy the trade paperback instead of the hardback, and it did have something to do with the cover. It was the second book in the YA series, Rebel of the Sands. The first book, with that exact title, has a GORGEOUS, mostly abstract cover. Then, when they published the second one, "Traitor To The Throne", they suddenly switched to a REALISTIC cover! I was REALLY ticked off, as the two covers didn't match. So I ended up buying the trade paperback of the second book, as it DID have an abstract cover. But now I have a hardback and a paperback, which, of course, STILL don't match! Lol. So I've been thinking of getting the trade paperback of the first book, which has the same cover as the hardback, so that the two will match. Lol. I might either keep the hardback I already have, or do a giveaway for it.

I don't know why publishers do this type of thing. They don't seem to care that some fans are very insistent on cover continuity!

Movie tin-in covers don't really bother me, unless the photographs used on them are horrible. Having said that, I must add that I do prefer artwork on fantasy-themed books, instead of photographs taken from movies based on them. This is the case with "The Lord of the Rings". I wasn't too fond of the movie tie-in covers they used for the mass-paperback edition of the books. On the other hand, I DID like the movie tin-ins for The Twilight Saga, both for the trade paperbacks and the mass-market paperbacks.

The hurricane wasn't as bad as we had originally feared, although quite a few trees were downed. That made VERY sad, as I LOVE trees..... We got our power back last Wednesday, thank God!! We were afraid it would take longer, but it didn't. I was expecting to go back to school tomorrow, but am still waiting to hear from the Superintendent of Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Alberto Carvalho, for a final decision. The school district has been phoning teachers, staff, and students with a recorded message by Carvalho, in order to keep us all updated.

Thanks so much for the WONDERFUL comment, Wendy!! Hope you guys are having a GREAT Sunday!! HUGS TO YOU AND MOUSE!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)