Saturday, April 29, 2017

Book Blogger Hop No. 3: Books I Have Re-read


Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

How many books have you re-read? If you have re-read books, please tell us the book titles and why you re-read them.

(Submitted  by Elizabeth  @ 



My Answer

There are several books I have re-read throughout the years. Although subsequent readings cannot compare with that first reading, I have still enjoyed each book -- or not -- just as much the second time around.

Since there are quite a few books I've re-read, I will just highlight a few. 




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2888213-the-twilight-saga



The first books that come to mind are those of The Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer. As regular readers of my YA blog A Night's Dream of Books,  know, I LOVE this series!! I've re-read all four novels three times each, and the first novel four times -- one of them in Spanish, since I'm fluent in that language. 

I love the characters of these novels, especially Edward Cullen and Bella Swan! Although some people might dislike the books because they think the romance between Edward, a vampire, and Bella, a human, is just too 'weird' and 'out there', let me assure those of you who have not read these books that they're beautiful, romantic, and full of teen angst and great paranormal action! But there's more to them than this. They also have themes of loyalty, courage, and the determination to live a life of non-violence.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6712426-wuthering-heights

 
Another book I've re-read (twice, unbelievably enough) is Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. In my last Book Blogger Hop post, I expressed just how much I detest this novel, so I won't repeat myself here. Reading -- as well as re-reading it -- was not a pleasant experience by any means.




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/161106.Jane_Eyre


What a contrast is Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte!! This novel is my all-time favorite classic!! I've read it twice, as well, and gained some new insights the second time, too. I have admired Jane for many years, and only wish I could be half the person she is. Her strong determination to live her life on her own terms, according to her inner moral compass, and not the dictates of the society of her time, is truly an example. Furthermore, her romantic relationship with Edward Rochester is tumultuous and passionate, which makes for great drama!






I've also re-read Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. The first time I read it, I was a high school student, and found it just as boring as I found Jane Eyre exciting. Of course, these two writers -- Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen -- had very different personalities. I much prefer Bronte's novel because she created dynamic, passionate characters, as well as very dramatic scenarios. Austen's novel, in contrast, was of a more subtle type. This author was concerned with satirizing the accepted conventions of the society of her time, and in a slyly humorous way. There was no "sturm und drang" in this novel.  

During my second reading, I was better able to appreciate Austen's sly humor, as well as her astute characterizations. However, I will always prefer Jane Eyre!




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16635.Magister_Ludi?ac=1&from_search=true


Another book I've read twice is Magister Ludi, by Hermann Hesse. This novel is also known by the title The Glass Bead Game. What's fascinating about it is the intellectual nature of this fictitious game, although Hesse never does elaborate on just how it's played. Equally fascinating is Hesse's creation of an intellectual province, known as "Castalia". I would love to be able to live in such a province!

This is not a dramatic novel at all, and the action moves quite slowly. I liked it, though, because the main character, Joseph Knecht, goes through a very compelling series of changes, all of an intellectual as well as emotional nature, throughout the novel. At the end, he has become transformed into a person who is able to appreciate both the intellectual life, and the life of the senses. This was one of Hesse's major themes, too.

I think I'd like to go back for a third reading of this novel! I'm sure there are many more things about it that I will be able to appreciate.




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12873.Rebecca


Another novel I've read twice is Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. I was enjoying it the second time just as much as the first, until I found out what had really happened with one of the main characters. I don't know why, but I had not remembered this detail from my first reading, years ago. Instead, I had remembered what happened in the movie version. Interestingly, it seems that my mind had surreptitiously substituted the events of the movie version, precisely because the way the plot developed in the novel had disgusted me. The whole thing involved a murder, and how this murder was covered up. In the movie version, there was no murder.

This curious incident has made me realize just how complex the workings of the mind are. Our memories are not always reliable in recording exactly what took place in our past. We remember some things as we wish they had taken place, and not as they really did. Hmmmm.....

So these are some of the books I've re-read. There are several more, but, in the interests of not making this post overly long, I will stop here. Lol.

I'm very interested to know what books other hop participants have re-read, and why!

 
       
What are your thoughts on
this topic?
Please leave a comment!
If you're participating in this meme,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!! 








15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ooooooo.....I LOVED Rebecca. Great choice. I don't re-read, but I did watch the OLD movie of Rebecca. A friend and I rented it from the library one evening. I LOVE Mrs. Danvers because I hated her. :) :)

I see you have featured classics....perfect ones to re-read. I liked Wuthering Heights, but not Pride and Prejudice.

Wonderful answer as always. You took a lot of time with your answer. Love the books covers. I don't think I have seen the one on Rebecca, but then again, I may have just forgotten.

Thanks for the time travel and reminder about some amazing books.

Have a wonderful weekend, Maria.

Happy Hopping!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog Hop Answer

Elizabeth said...

BTW...Mrs. Danvers is my favorite villain. :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Elizabeth!

Yeah, I was a bit late with my post this week.... At the last minute, I decided to publish it on this blog, instead of on the other one, because I featured some classics.

As for my own favorite villain, I guess I would have to say Voldemor, in the Harry Potter series! But you're right -- Mrs. Danvers is a FORMIDABLE villain! SOOOOO CREEPY!!

Thanks for the compliments about the post!! Hope you're having a GREAT Saturday!! <3 :))

Kym said...

I loathed Wuthering Heights and enjoyed Jane Eyre as well. And I re-read Pride and Prejudice (and other Jane Austen novels) regularly. Here's my Book Blogger Hop post with my reasons for re-reading and a list of some of the books I've enjoyed over and over. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/book-blogger-hop-april-29-2017.html

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Kym!!

Oh, how funny! I just finished commenting on YOUR post!! Lol.

I'm glad you agree about "Wuthering Heights". What an UNPLEASANT book!! UGH.

Yeah, I do prefer "Jane Eyre" to "Pride and Prejudice".

Well, thanks for "commenting back"! I enjoyed reading your post!! đŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒđŸ˜ƒ

Elizabeth said...

I haven't read Harry Potter so I don't know Voldemor. :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, again!

Oh, believe me, Voldemort is one NASTY character!! Throughout the series, he tries to kill Harry several times. Plus he's a BIGOT; he HATES Muggles (non-magical people). Poor Harry is an orphan because of him, since he succeded in killing Harry's parents.... I HATE VOLDEMORT!!!!

Thanks for commenting again!! <3 <3:) :)

Literary Feline said...

Great post, Maria. I do not often re-read books, but I occasionally well. Jane Eyre is one. So is Pride and Prejudice. Someday I would like to revisit all the Harry Potter books--in print and also in audio. I have this rule that I will only keep books I've read that I want to read again. Only, I never make time to re-read them. I keep telling myself someday . . . I just don't know when that someday will be. Maybe when I retire.

I hope you have a great week, Maria. Thank you for sharing!

Brian Joseph said...

Fantastic post Maria.

I think that rereading is important. I have heard it said that rereading a book is the only way to really get the book. hile I might not go that far author's like The Brontes, Hermann Hesse really lend themselves to rereading. There is such depth and density to their books.

The issue of time is a big one. I am always torn between the desire to reread and the desire to take on something new. Reading time is so limited.

I likely will not reread disturbing books. Wuthering Heights falls into that category so I will not likely try that one again. Books like Nineteen Eighty Four and The Handmaid's Tale also fall into that category for me.

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Wendy!

Thanks so much for the compliment!! <3 <3

I haven't been re-reading much lately, but the books I mentioned in the post are some of my beloved favorites (except for "Wuthering Heights" and "Rebecca"). In the classics group, I'm ESPECIALLY fond of "Jane Eyre". I will likely re-read this one again in the future.

I should have mentioned the Harry Potter books.... I have read the first three twice, and will also likely read them again in the future. I LOVE this series!!

Lack of time is my problem, too..... Even though I only work part-time, I do wish I had more time available for reading! So maybe when I retire, too.... So I can relate to your own dilemma!

You're very welcome for the sharing, Wendy! Thanks to you for leaving such a nice comment, as usual!! HUGS TO YOU & MOUSE!!! <3 <3 :) :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Brian!

Thanks for the good word!! <3 <3

As you know, "Jane Eyre" is my FAVORITE all-time classic!! So I will most likely read it again in the future. And, of course, the same goes for "Magister Ludi". I also like "Narcissus and Golmund", by Hesse. There are a couple of other Hesse books I'd like to re-read (and some that I want to read for the first time). As you know, the sole exception is "Steppenwolf", which I absolutely LOATHE.

The big problem, where re-reading is concerned, is time, as you point out. I think all of us readers wish we had some sort of time machine, so we could get to all of those new books we want to read, as well as revisit beloved favorites! Lol.

I also agree with you about re-reading disturbing books like "Wuthering Heights". Why put oneself through such torture AGAIN? Lol. As for "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and "The Handmaid's Tale", I haven't read them even once, lol. I guess I should, though, as they are important books.

Thanks for a great comment, as usual! Hope you're having a WONDERFUL Sunday!! <3 <3 :) :)



EFC Chrissy said...

I have reread the Twilight series many times as well as Pride & Prejudice. I love them both!

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Chrissy!

So glad you love The Twilight Saga, too!! Heck, they might be due for another re-read! Lol.

Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

La La in the Library said...

I have probably read Jane Eyre the most of any book, or maybe the first Harry Potter book. I have only read Siddhartha of Hesse's books. I have read it three times and plan to read it again this year. :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, La, La!

OMG....I had not seen this comment before! Sorry about that!

"Jane Eyre" is my FAVORITE classic of all time, bar none! I've read it twice, and plan to do so again!

As for Harry Potter, I've read the first 3 books twice, and plan to continue with the rest of the series.

I think I've read "Siddhartha", but don't really remember. That means I need to refresh my memory by reading it again!

Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)