Friday, March 9, 2018

Book Blogger Hop No. 7: Classics Retellings



Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


This Week's Question

Do you enjoy reading retellings of,
or 'sequels' to, classic novels?
Why or why not?

(Submitted  by Maria @ 



My Answer

Actually, I haven't read many of these, but if I were to read more, it would totally depend on how well they were written, and how skillfully the modern authors had incorporated the classic authors' story and characters into their own books, while creating something original at the same time. 

In September of 2015, I purchased and decided to read a 'prequel' to Jane Eyre. This 'prequel' is very well-known, and is considered to be a masterpiece, although the Goodreads reviews are far from being overwhelmingly favorable. I'm referring to Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys.

I bought an edition with a very beautiful cover (see below), and settled in to read, only to begin feeling.....well, 'very distressed' would be an adequate description. This novel tells the story of 'the madwoman in the attic', a very important character in  Charlotte Brontë's famous novel. Rhys's intent was to vindicate this character, as well as to explore the ways in which women in the 19th century were oppressed by the patriarchy. She also brought in colonialist criticism. In order to achieve these ends, however, she totally revamped the character of Edward Rochester, the male protagonist of the  Brontë novel. The extent to which she did so makes him totally unrecognizable. Thus, I gave up reading Rhys's novel in disgust. In her hands, Rochester had actually become a caricature of the character originally -- and masterfully -- created by Brontë  . 


Click on this cover for the Goodreads page.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/481558.Wide_Sargasso_Sea


I strongly feel that, if a modern-day author is going to use characters previously created by another author, and especially a classic one, then they should do their utmost to remain faithful to the original characterizations.

It's interesting to note one thing: all of these 'retellings' and 'sequels' (or 'prequels') actually fall under the category of fan fiction. This makes me wonder whether the authors of the original books, were they alive today, would be upset that their creative masterpieces are being 'recycled' by contemporary authors. I would guess that they would, indeed, be upset, although perhaps in varying degrees, according to how their original works were being used. I think that the acclaimed author of Jane Eyre would have a thing or two to say to Rhys about Wide Sargasso Sea, since the latter has so drastically distorted the original version of Rochester! 

There's a YA novel I want to read, titled My Plain Jane, and written by three authors, which I feel might do more justice to the original. It's supposed to be a humorous take on Jane Eyre, and is set to be published on June 26th of the present year. However, if I'm at all disappointed by the authors' handling of the original material, I will not hesitate to state it in a review. I'm crossing my fingers that this won't happen, though!
  

Click on the book cover for the Goodreads page.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36301023-my-plain-jane


One particular type of retelling, or 'sequel', really does annoy and anger me, as I find it to be a total travesty of the original, and thus, very disrespectful to the original author. This is the type of novel in which the original book's text is actually interspersed with outrageous material that's totally extraneous to the original work. I think this type of book is just not worth reading at all! I'm thinking of such 'gems' as Jane Slayre and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (UGH, UGH, UGH). For a list of Jane Eyre retellings and 'sequels', click on this Goodreads list. I think I would probably enjoy other books on this list.


    Click on the covers for the GR pages.        

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7430962-jane-slayre


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5899779-pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies?ac=1&from_search=true
      

It's not a matter of whether or not one likes zombies, vampires, werewolves, and other creatures common to paranormal fiction. It's a matter of reading 'derivative books' that actually destroy the original work through the introduction and interspersion of material totally foreign to it and thus, to the author's original intent in writing their masterpiece.

There are other Pride and Prejudice rettellings and 'sequels' that I know I would probably enjoy, such as the ones on this Goodreads list

There have been several retellings, etc. of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, who happens to be my favorite detective of all time! I have only read one, a YA novel titled A Study in Charlotte, by Brittany Cavallaro. This was a brilliant spinoff of the original adventures, and I enjoyed it immensely! In it, the detective is Charlotte, a descendant of the legendary Holmes, while her assistant is Jamie, a descendant of the famous Dr. Watson. 


Click on the cover for the Goodreads page. 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23272028-a-study-in-charlotte?ac=1&from_search=true
         

There have probably been many more retellings or adaptations of classic novels that I'm not aware of; the ones shown above are the ones I've heard of. It seems to me, though, that Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice are the two classics that have been 'retold' the most. That's probably because these two novels are the ones most loved by generations of female readers, and the authors of these retellings are all women. 

I would be more than willing to read any of these which, again, are skillfully done, and in some way remain faithful to the originals, while also remaining respectful of them. I am definitely not interested in reading any such books which totally disrespect, destroy, or make fun of the original classics, unless, of course, the humor is meant as an affectionate take on the original work.



What are your thoughts on
this topic?
If you're participating in this hop,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!!  
 








10 comments:

Katherine P said...

I do like the some of the Sherlock Holmes reworkings - especially the ones by Sherry Thomas and Laurie R. King. I didn't think of them as retellings but they definitely are. I wasn't a big fan of Wild Sargasso Sea either but I read it in high school so I might get more out of it now.

Elizabeth said...

Wow....what an informative post.

I really enjoyed reading this, Maria.

THANKS.

Brian Joseph said...

Great post Maria. I very much agree with you. Such retellings and sequels by modern day authors are often disasters for the reasons that you mentioned. I have seen and heard a lot about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It seems like such a bad idea. I have not read Wide Sargasso Sea. I know a lot of people who like the book. But if it changes the basic meaning of Jane Eyre, then it probably was not s great idea to write it.

Though it is slightly different from the retelling of a novel, I do recommend Margret Atwood’s The Penelopiad. It is a retelling of the Oddesey from Penelope’s point of view. I thought that it was well worth the read.

Anstice Brown said...

You make some really interesting points. I'm not sure what the original authors would make of some of these works. Perhaps they would just be pleased that their books had inspired countless generations of writers. After all, most of the classic authors wrote works inspired by the 'classics' of their time-like Greek mythology, for example. All fiction borrows from or alludes to other works in some way. But I agree with you that authors of retellings should have some respect for the original work and not distort characters beyond all recognition. It's a shame that Wide Sargasso Sea didn't live up to your expectations. I've always wondered about the woman in the attic.

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Katherine!

Thanks for letting me know about those Sherlock Holmes retellings!! I'll be sure to look them up!

Yeah, "Wide Sargasso Sea" TOTALLY INFURiATED ME!! Rochester was NOT Rochester, AT ALL. He was an entirely different character, and Rhys portrayed him as abusive to his first wife. I felt like I was reading a book that had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the original story in "Jane Eyre"! I'm glad you didn't like it, either!

Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Elizabeth!

I'm SO glad you enjoyed reading my post!! You're very welcome!! <3 <3

Thanks for the compliment, as well as the lovely comment!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Brian!

Thanks for the compliment!! :) :)

I'm SO glad you agree that some of these samples of what actually constitutes fan fiction can be abysmal. In the case of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", this is certainly the case.

On a visit to my local B&N several months ago, I happened to come across a copy of this book. Trying my HARDEST not to look at that HORRIBLE cover, which, aside from terrifying, is aesthetically AWFUL, I opened the book, just out curiosity, and did some skimming. What they have done with the original should be declared ILLEGAL. The original text is there, but has been altered in order to include the zombies mentioned in the title. The Amazon preview also allows potential buyers to sample the book. I just went to that page. Here's the opening paragraph of Chapter 1:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. Never was this truth more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead."

So Austen's prose has been twisted into something which totally departs from the original, and becomes, instead, a macabre vision. There's an attempt at humor here, but it's VERY dark humor. I don't like the horror genre to begin with, so this just makes me nauseous. Although I DO like paranormal fiction, paradoxically enough, I consider zombies to be more in the horror genre. and I DETEST them.

Summing up, I consider this type of "thing" to be a TOTAL TRAVESTY of the original, as well as TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL to the author of that original, Jane Austen. I'm sure that, were she alive today, she would SUE the pants off the author of this travesty, Seth Grahame-Smith.

Btw, this guy also wrote another horrible book titled "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". (This book was later made into a movie.) I just looked up Grahame-Smith's Author Page on Amazon. Incredibly, BOTH of these books have over ONE THOUSAND reviews, although not all of them are favorable. But WHY would people read this kind of GARBAGE?! (scratches head in disbelief)

Well, let me get off my soapbox now, lol. Otherwise this will turn into the first chapter of a nonfiction book of literary criticism.... Heeeeey!! Now THERE'S an idea!! Lol.

Thanks for the great comment!! Thanks as well for recommending Atwood's "The Penelopiad"!! That sounds VERY interesting indeed! It also reminds me of "The Mists of Avalon", by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which is an Arthurian retelling, told from the point of view of the women in the original. Now THIS type of thing I consider inventive and worthy of praise! And it does require some originality on the part of the contemporary author(s)! <3 :)

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Tizzy!

Thanks for the compliment! <3 :)

You have a point that ALL literature borrows from or alludes to previous literature. However, some of these "retellings" just take things TOO far, as in the case of that HORRIBLE zombie book.

I'm glad you agree that authors who write these types of books should have some respect for the authors of the originals, and not distort characters to the point that they are totally unrecognizable. The Edward Rochester I met in the pages of "Wide Sargasso Sea" was definitely NOT the Edward Rochester created by Charlotte Bronte. I could not enjoy the book because of this. Now, I'll admit that Bronte's Rochester was far from being a sterling personality. He had plenty of flaws. But the Rochester I encountered in Rhys's novel was actually on the MONSTROUS side. I even HATED him! This one book has actually made me lose ALL interest in reading any of this Rhys's other novels.

You know, if a writer wants to change the characterizations of the original to such an extent, they should just write their own characters. Why write a so-called "retelling" or "sequel" (or "prequel")? Cheesh!! This is what E.L. James, the author of the DISGUSTING "Fifty Shades" books, did. She was 'inspired' by The Twilight Saga, and created her own books, but her characters are VERY different. They are her own. I call these books DISGUSTING because Christian Grey is manipulative, controlling, and ABUSIVE to Anastasia. I haven't read the books, but I've looked up their plots on Wikipedia. These books actually GLORIFY abuse toward women. YUK, YUK, YUK!!!!

And now I'm getting off THIS soapbox, too! Lol. Thanks for the comment!! <3 :)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Oh, dear, you really DON’T approve of these things, do you? :) I haven’t Read Wide Sargasso Sea, though I believe it is considered a classic in its own right. You have every right not to like it. Lucy Sussex wrote a Bertha Rochester’s ghost short story in her anthology Matilda Told Such Dreadful Lies. It had an interesting take on the story. Lucy is a scholar and is always careful with her writing.

See, we have to remember that pretty much everything is based on something else. Shakespeare did it all the time, it’s how they did plays in those days, and even stories were based on other stories. “If you liked the Greene novel, you will LOVE Shakespeare’s new play!” I think the Bard would have had some pithy things to say about his work being dismissed as fan fiction! ;) Quite often, the estate of a writer will approve a follow-up written by an approved writer. Stephen Baxter’s Time(sequel to The Time Machine), Isabel Allende’s gorgeous Zorro prequel, Eoin Colfer’s sequel to the Douglas Adams Hitchiker’s Guide series are all examples. David Lake did a novel called The Man Who loved Morlocks and a short story, “The Truth About Weena” inspired by The Time Machine. Possibly you could call them fan fiction but they were wonderful stories in their own right.

As a matter of fact, I HATED The Mists Of Avalon. Not the idea, which was good, but what she did to my beloved Arthur. What a wimp! And if you must decide that Merlin is a title, could you come up with a more interesting name for the Merlin than Kevin? However, it was Marion ZB’s *interpretation* of the legend. And I am in a minority in hating it.

If you are interested in Sherlock Holmes, I do recommend Elli Marney’s YA Every trilogy about a teenage Holmes and Watson - Janes Mycroft and Rachel Watts - who live in Melbourne. It’s great stuff!

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Sue,

It's not that I "don't approve" of these retellings, 'sequels', or 'prequels'. It's that I don't like it when these are NOT respectful to the original authors. I have stated this very clearly in my post. Furthermore, if you read my comment to Brian, in which I quoted the first paragraph of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", you will see exactly what I'm talking about. This book is a TRAVESTY.

It's true that much of literature is derivative in some way. There are many literary allusions to be found in great works. But it's HOW the author using derivative material handles the original that matters. In "Wide Sargasso Sea", Rhys TOTALLY altered Edward Rochester's personality. I did not like the transformation AT ALL. Thus, I couldn't get into this novel.

I would expect a retelling to have some originality, as well, in spite of being based on previously published material.

In the case of Shakespeare, he actually EXPANDED and IMPROVED upon his source material. In the case of "Romeo and Juliet", for instance, he had more than one source. Shakespeare's contribution was his majestic poetry, and he made the characters truly sublime. I fail to see how twisting Jane Austen's prose to include zombies is any kind of "improvement" on the source material.

Here are the sources for "Romeo and Juliet", if you're interested:

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sources/romeosources.html

You have stated, in your own comment, that you didn't like what Bradley "did to my beloved Arthur". In your own words, she turned him into a "wimp". Well, that's EXACTLY how I feel in regards to what Rhys did to Rochester. I did not like what she turned him into -- an ABUSER.

I will look up your Sherlock Holmes recs.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!